WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FIND A DEER IN YOUR BEDROOM?


WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FIND A DEER IN YOUR BEDROOM?


Should you blow the hunting horn or invite the deer to dinner? I was worried and so I went into the bedroom to change something – my socks, my shirt, I can’t be sure – and instead found a deer looking blankly into the mirror. It’s ok, I’ve handled worse except this deer looked familiar. My accountant? My grandmother? Myself in a past life? It was my fridge.

“Speak frankly, fridge,” I said. “Tell me what the future holds. What shall the meals of the future put on the plates of my life? What of the safety and happiness of my children, my wife? Shall my body be eaten by cancer, will my mind hold out until the end? What will be the condiments of happiness all the days of my life?”

There’s something beautiful about appliances. About their muteness, their tawny pelts, their doe-eyed corners, their earnest shape.

Comments

Chris said…
What does it mean not to find a deer in your bedroom?
gary barwin said…
Well it makes it easier to clean, for one. And there's less chaffing and commotion during breeding season.