I read a list of nouns for Alvin Lucier: a video





This video evolved from a slow process, surprisingly like a collaboration, except in this case, with myself.  I made a recording a solo soprano saxophone track which I then made into a canon. Then later, I read a word list of nouns which I found on my computer. I made this thinking about the news that Alvin Lucier had died. Then my friend Arnold McBay posted a video with audio from the group we plan in together (TZT). It was an MRI of a brain and head. I took that video and blended it with a track I'd made of a walk through some woods where there were lots of wildflowers (that, itself blended with processed "blobby" multicolour video I'd made with the help of MAX/MSP. I mixed the whole shebang together and this video was the result. I deliberately keep the dog barking (thanks, Happy) in the audio of my voice, thinking about Lucier and how his recordings often reflect the actual acoustic space of the recording. I wasn't recording in an abstract place, but in my home at a specific moment. 

I was thinking about a recent conversaion with Elee Kraljii Gardiner where we spoke about how collaboration takes us out of our implicit assumptions in making work and adds levels, nuance and complexity. This was a case where it happened to me with my own work. Usually I only notice this when I'm working with collaborators, such as Elee. (We're in the middle of a fascinating really productive writing project together where I'm learning much from the process as well as having fun.) 

Comments