Much Ado about To Do.



The New York Times reports that "The song of the blue whale, one of the eeriest sounds in the ocean, has mysteriously grown deeper."


*

My local gas station offers car washes. There are three options. The more expensive two packages feature scented car wax. I imagine explaining to my cavepeople forebears, firstly, what a car is, and secondly, why we'd want to scent one. I plan to find out what scents are available -- strawberry? muskox? elephant?

As a 21st century man, I need to ask myself these questions: Should I get a manly, musky scent for my minivan? Do I want my car to smell like my woman? What is the car scent most appropriate for a 'metrosexual'? If I had a whale, I'd wax it. I'd scent it like a deer or a toybox.

*

spokes
writes
thinks

*

I've been thinking about definitions which change. Real language use and meaning construction relies on context, specially an agreed-upon context.

Someone could steadfastly attempt to use only definitions of words which were current in the 16th century, but they'd probably have difficulty renting a Blu-ray or perhaps signing out a copy of Johnson from the local library.

But the idea of a dictionary, the definitions of which are constantly changing "in real time" is fascinating to me. There are many 'real-time' sites on the net which, ostensibly, provide up-to-date information. Why wouldn't (at least pataphysically) a dictionary? There is the wiki format Urban Dictionary, but that's different, I think.

The next step is that written texts then would have to change in real-time as the words changed. Wait! The meaning of 'wheelbarrow' just changed (and I think it has)? Better update the poem.

*

dream head wind through a dandelion in seed

million year cycle: high score at Ms. Pac-Man, again.


*


Here's a couple pages from my notebook. I'm interested in the H / A drawings (what Geof Huth would term 'fidgetglyphs.' I've tentatively titled them "Father and Son" or "Madonna and Child" but I think that that is too reductive. I prefer to let the reader/view create their own sense from the nesting of one letter in another. It could be a parable of self, for example, or just playing with the idea of nesting, or protection or interiority. Is 'A' the interior of 'H'?

On the right side, is a 'To Do' list. I've been meaning to post some images of lists that my wife, Beth, created. In a fantastically contrarian way, she has painted (in several colours) lovely 'To Do' lists on lovely thick artist paper. These are actual lists for us to do, but I love the notion that she has taken the time to paint them....as opposed to beginning to complete them. And here I am, writing about them....as opposed to beginning to complete them. And of course, if I post them here, then I am formally acknowledging that they exist...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yuts, daw palagpat imo blog.
potsy said…
Hello