Work Song



A 'Work Song' for BumpHEAD's performance at a labour-arts related evening.


I’ve been working on the golden yellow road
Trying to live long all day.

I’ve been toiling on the emerald green road
And time just passes away.

I’ve been hauling on the blood red road
Don’t you hear our bones rattling?

I’ve been bolting on the bruise blue road
Rise up & begin earning in the morning.

I’ve been assembling on the pale white road
Don’t you hear the shouting of ‘heroes’?

I’ve been dragging on the coal-black road
Someone came to the diner I know.

I’ve been struggling on the burnt purple road
Living large all day.

I’ve been haunting on the royal lavender road
Just past where I know.

I’ve been gasping on the empty chartreuse road
And I’d be happy to give it away.

I’ve been staggering on the dusty burgundy road
Wish Charlie Parker would blow his horn.

I’ve been watching on the wide whale road
Someone’s likely in the kitchen shucking corn.

I’ve been carrying on the lemon yellow road
Indivisible sometime before dawn.

I’ve been lurching on the dirty brown road
And time passes where once were locomotives.

‘Cause I've been working
All day.

I've been working
In time.

Don't you hear the whistle?
Don't you hear the captain?

For I’ve been working
All day.

Comments