In my Pocket: Israel and Palestine




In My Pocket


what's this in my pocket?
it's a tongue
and hey
there are teeth in my other pocket
if i could get them together
like the Israelis and the Palestinians
there'd be a lot of nifty consonants
they could say together
it'd be tremendous
but then again
how'd i ever sit down?
i'd never be able to finish my dinner
or bend over to watch the little people
badmouthing me
holding festivals in my honour
and in my shoes


*

from my book Outside the Hat (Coach House Books) available online and in print.

Comments

Silvia Castro said…
It' s a great poem!
gary barwin said…
Thanks, Silvia.

I'm going to figure out a way to read your blog in English. Your work seems very interesting, from what I'm able to decode in my almost entirely non-existent Spanish.