Wednesday, January 21, 2009

In my Pocket: Israel and Palestine

In My Pocket

what's this in my pocket?
it's a tongue
and hey
there are teeth in my other pocket
if i could get them together
like the Israelis and the Palestinians
there'd be a lot of nifty consonants
they could say together
it'd be tremendous
but then again
how'd i ever sit down?
i'd never be able to finish my dinner
or bend over to watch the little people
badmouthing me
holding festivals in my honour
and in my shoes


from my book Outside the Hat (Coach House Books) available online and in print.


Silvia Castro said...

It' s a great poem!

gary barwin said...

Thanks, Silvia.

I'm going to figure out a way to read your blog in English. Your work seems very interesting, from what I'm able to decode in my almost entirely non-existent Spanish.