WOLF GNOMON



(The following poem is something I'm working on inspired by Craig Conley's illustration of a line from J. Karl Bogartte.)


WOLF GNOMON



1.

replace the head of a deer
with
another deer

he took his daily walk
at precisely the same time
so they set the town clock to it

I replace myself with
my mirror image

but each afternoon, he timed his walk
to the clock

a deer is the sky
and also
the ground

get closer
take a walk on the other side



2.

when does one deer
end and the other begin?

night on both sides of
the earth at once

the wolf became the sundial
because
the shadows are sheep

the same constellations
different stars

3

in the mirror
a twin cannot see himself

time in
sheep’s clothing
the mirror in its own clothes

4.


night is
an absent deer

antlers sliver into
the silver skin

what else were you going to do
with antlers?


5.

the first glance
the thing itself

the second glances
off rhe surface

a frog off a frozen pond

6.

the deer sheds
its ballast of light

here’s the thing:

each thing is
but at the same time

Comments

belgianwaffle said…
So you are the Serif of Nottingham! One of the best noms de plume I've happened upon.

Thanks for your comments on my Blog - they're things I do trying to let my hand go its own way.

Can't seem to access your own e-mail.

best wishes

Jonathan