Two Songs homophonically translated from German translations of Emily Dickinson




SONG

all around my daughter, the light is new
someone died in a hat under an airduct
let’s call him André. I loved André
and his hat. such a sad vermillion

my daughter names things
André’s the first best man
his ears and that wig that make me laugh
my daughter the light around trees

like the light on passersby
on bricks and
when in surgery
hearts


SONG

I dream only the beginning of dreams
in my latest, I’m a grub
I wake only to die on a train
a river through night
my simple mouth says, ‘home on the wange

I dream only the beginning of dreams
in one, I’m early life, shiny like mica
I wake repeatedly
always on a rock
worrying bitterly and for a long time

I dream only the beginning of dreams
in another, nothing good comes of war
I wake, find myself in a storm
surrounded finally by warlike and merciless
flutes with great thighs



Comments