The Synaesthetic Punch Bowl of the Head








One of those days when the verbal part of my brain is too tired but there's a bit of energy left in the visual.

A few days ago, I was talking via email to Geof Huth about puns. "Puns are," I wrote, "a kind of metaphor, a seeing double, a kind of categorical synaesthesia, an intimation of the multi-dimensionality of reality and of language systems, they are a lexiconjuring trapdoor and a semantic trampoline. And they often make a grown man groan."

I see the image above as a kind of pun, a categorical synaesthesia. A headdress of fists, the punch of antlers or rams' horns out from the head.

Comments

You wrote: "the verbal part of my brain is too tired but there's a bit of energy left in the visual."

So that's why I often find myself working with images, too. Makes perfect sense, now that you explained it!