Saturday, February 07, 2009

a crutch, haiku, small apes and white feet



SMALL APES AND WHITE FEET

moon drifts in cloud
I’ve half a mind
to borrow
a small ape

(adapted from Shiki)

*

what does the man next door do
with his two perfect
feet?

(adapted from Basho)

*

the moon is following me
so am I

*

I will gaze at the moon
until it worries
about me

(adapted from Zeami)

*
the snap of a butterfly
a book
beneath my feet

*

a pleasant crackling of bones
as I walk
pursued by no-one

*

since my house burned down
I plug the television
into the ground

(adapted Massahide)

*
what does the man next door do
with one perfect
foot?

(adapted from Basho)

4 comments:

hugh said...

This road,
no one goes down it,
Bathurst Street.
(after Basho)

The departing spring
with the men of Toronto
I have lamented.
(after Basho)

I go,
you stay;
two Torontos.
(after Buson)

White blossoms of the pear
and a woman in Toronto
reading a letter.
(after Buson)

Blown from the west
fallen leaves gather
in Toronto.
(after Buson)

With my father
I would watch dawn
over Toronto.
(after Issa)

Once, a fear pierced him
in that he mistook his shadow
for that of the CN tower.
(after Stevens)

gary barwin said...

moon drifts in cloud
I’ve half a mind
to borrow
Toronto

(adapted from Shiki)

*

what would Toronto do
with two perfect
feet?

(adapted from Basho)

*
*

I will gaze at Toronto
until it worries
about me

(adapted from Zeami)

*

a pleasant crackling of bones
as I walk
pursued by Toronto

*

since the trees burned down
I plug Toronto
into the ground

(adapted Massahide)

*
what does the man next door do
with a perfect
Toronto?

(adapted from Basho)

hugh said...

Barn's burned down
now
I can see the barn

Moon's gone down
now
I can see the barn
(after Masahide)

I want to see the moon.
Gary, may I borrow
your barn?
(after Masahide)

gary barwin said...

eyes burning
nothing left but the barn
blazing at the back of the brain

*

hey, hugh
lend me your barn
I've a barn door
a horse just bolted from
I'd like to keep
the moon outsized