EVERYTHING ALWAYS IS POSSIBLE NOW




EVERYTHING ALWAYS IS POSSIBLE NOW


I stand and watch people 

at the mall. When they step 

off the escalator I say

“That escalated quickly.”

Yesterday, I made notes in 

a green notebook

realized I didn’t know where

my organs were. Someone stabbing me

might have to guess. 




_________________

NOTE

Of course this is written thinking about the recent attack on Salman Rushdie. In addition to the horror of this violence against a writer and against our right to speak our truth to power, to critique, investigate, reconsider, remix, explore, reinvent, inquire, I am also thinking about how the present world seems to be fracturing before our very eyes, even as we know that it has, with the except of climate change, always been like this in one way or another. I feel like this is a series of essay questions in a high school exam: Is the present really worse than the past? In what way? Is there any point comparing? How are we feeling at this moment? What now? What IS possible?




Comments