Geese of the Wild: In memoriam Margo Sim


About 25 years ago, I wrote music to a childhood poem one of my closest friends wrote when she was in her early teens. At her funeral a few years before -- she committed suicide in her early 20s -- this was the poem that was used to memorialize her.  

I’ve been wanting to make something with this poem and this tune since then as a tribute to her and to somehow capture something of my memory and grief over her loss, now about 30 years ago. I still think of her often. I hope this captures something of the beauty, sensitivity, and bittersweetness of her words and that there is something of her in the music. My sister-in-law sang the beautiful vocals for me and I'm grateful to have this tune sung so hauntingly after all these years.


Text by Margo Sim, Music by Gary Barwin, Vocals by Pam Campbell.


Geese of the Wild

O Geese of the Wild

Take me with you

The wind is so mild

The sky is so blue

Geese of the wild

Teach me to fly

You are so beautiful

When I watch you go by

O Geese of the Wild

Please take me with you

I want to find the peace

which stays within you.

Comments