Nothing the Same, Everything Haunted: a novel-in-progress excerpt





I write and ask myself is the remembering mind a kind of ghost, drifting, no longer bound by time or gravity, as if twilight or reality had gathered into a cloud? Imagine a ghost returning to the place where it once lived. That place would seem a ghost to that ghost. Nothing the same. Everything haunted. As if seen through gauze. Of course it would seem that way: it’d be seen through a ghost. But gauze is apt, for a ghost’s past is a wound and the ghost is a dressing, a consolation, instead of us returning with no veil, the past in full colour. Haunting, though unsettling does not excoriate like reliving, like the mind returning, like a living wound. 

A living memory. Shares a circulation with the body, with the lived life, with the present.

Writing this story, both a kind of haunting and an opening of a wound. Or its investigation. 

When asked, my grandfather said he would never return to Lithuania. “There’s nothing there,” he’d say. Nothing but the eviscerating presence of what wasn’t there, he meant. That wound. His family. The village. His childhood. Leaving it for another life in Africa. There was too much there if he returned. There was too much was there. Without the possibility of change.

You can drown in memory if it’s not like a wave, if it’s a still pool, unchanging, stagnant. If it’s not in circulation, like the blood. 

And what is a wave?  I search online: Do waves move the water with them? 

They don’t. The water stays in one place, like the past, energy moves through the water, across the ocean, creating waves. My grandfather travelled across the ocean, from Krekenova to Bristol and from there to South Africa.

I had lunch with my cousin. We were speaking about our great-grandparents. He’d been looking through an online archive from Panevezys where they’d lived. He was sure that he recognized our great-grandfather in the jittery film, being chased down the street. Soldiers standing beside old cars, men in long dark coats, our great-grandfather beaten with a stick, clutching his head.

Comments

This is astonishing and directly speaks to issues that I've been contemplating this week.
gary barwin said…
Thank you, Craig. As always, so appreciate your presence and your readings.
Unknown said…
Its been 8 months since my husband returned back to me all thanks to Dr. OKO for his help. My husband left me for his boss at the office, she tricked him with what I don’t know that one day my husband came home to say he will be traveling for a seminal with his boss and that was the last day he came home. For one year I have been battling with my marriage, my husband don’t want to see me or our child non send money. Until I read about Dr. Oko’s great work online, so I contacted him for an advice and after my encounter with oko, behold my husband came home begging for forgiveness. I forgave him and we moved on but the most surprising thing was that my husband said his boss threatened to sack him if he stop seeing her but everything turn out to be promotion, just as Dr. OKO said it was going to be in the end. I came in here to share it just in case there’s anyone who is going through such or heartbreaks OKO will help you out. Contacts: okotemple@live.com (+2347084878384)